Sunday, October 24, 2010

Milestones



I’m back and after spending 2 1/2 days on the mountain with God and my girlfriends from church I appreciate my family more and yell less.  So far, anyway.  As I expected it was interesting.  Great worship and teaching, plenty of intercession and a generous sprinkling of fun were the recipe for an exhausting but overall joyful weekend.
This is my third year going on the annual retreat and I find that I measure time from retreat to retreat.  I didn’t think about it until one of my friends brought it to my attention how her life changed from year to year.  So often we fail to stop and take stock of how we have changed from one point in time to another.  It’s really useful.  I haven’t always had such mile markers and signposts along the way but find that the older I get the more I like them.  It’s nice to be able to have a time set aside annually where I can take stock of what has happened in the past year where I am in my life, and how things have changed.  
I don’t know about the rest of the world but I have most of my past conveniently categorized in time periods in my mind.  There was my early childhood, my teenage years, my practice husband, which may surprise some to realize happened before the slutting about in my early twenties.  I do have some spillover between categories though, especially since meeting darling husband.  
You know how the ‘right’ one can change everything?  From the time he danced his way into my heart his essence has permeated all areas of my life.  So much for my nice compartmentalized history.  Going back into the ‘junk trunk’ tomorrow I think.  We’ll see what I find this time.  

3 comments:

  1. It sounds like it was a worthwhile retreat.

    As for me, I remember bits of my childhood, my teenage years, which I hated (and so did most of the other people I knew), and the rest is a blur.

    Have fun with the junk trunk :)
    The enigmatic, masked blogger

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you got a lot out of this retreat. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My life is split pretty neatly in half around Before and After I Met Mr H. Sometimes I wonder what my parallel universe would have been like if my sister hadn't picked him up hitch-hiking (another story).

    Some years nothing seems to change; others like the last 5 seem to make up for those with huge leaps.

    Life certainly is a journey.

    It sounds like your retreat does you the power of good :-)

    JX

    ReplyDelete